Environmental Science with a Year Abroad [BSc] Year 2
In your second year you will take advanced modules related to Earth surface processes, atmospheric physics, and how ecosystems function. You will undertake geophysical surveys. You will choose a field of specialisation and execute a detailed assessment of an environmentally stressed location. You’ll take part in CV compilation, mock interviews and oral presentations. In the field you will learn to perform advanced field studies, including the use of environmental monitoring equipment.
Field course to: Malham Tarn, Yorkshire
Year 2 Aims
In Year 2 we aim to build on the broad introduction to Environmental Science and Studies provided in Year 2 to supply an overall balanced coverage of the subject to intermediate level which will allow for specialization at a more advanced level in Year 3. We aim to teach you to cope with a demanding work schedule and to be aware of the level of expectation and planning required for success in final assessments.
Year 2 Learning Outcomes
At successful completion of Year 2, you will have had the opportunity to:
- gain specialist knowledge of their chosen field of interest, according to pathway choice
- plan and execute a detailed environmental assessment of a stressed location (with field and laboratory work)
- critically appraise published sources of information
- seek relevant vacation employment confident in your ability to perform
- be able to demonstrate enhanced IT skills, for example in using a bibliographic database for efficient retrieval of information
- have produced a professional quality report analysing and interpreting a range of geological data
- have enhanced key skills
You must do all of the mandatory course units and 20 credits from the optional units: