Dr Katherine Joy - personal details
Role: Royal Society University Research Fellow / Senior Lecturer
Tel: 0161 275-3817
School of Earth and Environmental Sciences
The University of Manchester
- School of Earth and Environmental Sciences
- CV and Publication list
- Earth and Solar System
- Orcid Record
- SEAES Isotope Group
Education and Research Experience
May 2012-Present: School of Earth, Atmospheric and Environmental Sciences, University of Manchester, UK
• Senior Lecturer
• Royal Society University Research Fellow
• Leverhulme Trus Early-Career Postdoctoral Fellow
Nov. 2011 – Jan. 2012: Antarctic Search for Meteorites (ANSMET)
• Field team member searching for meteorites in the Miller Range, Antarctica.
Jan. 2010 – Nov. 2011: Center for Lunar Science and Exploration, Lunar and Planetary Institute (USRA) and NASA’s Johnson Space Center, USA
• Postdoctoral Fellow funded by the NASA Lunar Science Institute: Examining the lunar regolith to unravel the bombardment history of the Moon. Analytical research conducted at NASA, JSC.
April 2007- Dec. 2009: School of Earth Sciences, Birkbeck College London, UK
• Postdoctoral Research Assistant funded by the Leverhulme Trust: Using mineralogical and geochemical measurements of lunar samples to interpret chemical data obtained from orbital remote-sensing missions to the Moon. Analytical research conducted at the Natural History Museum, London, UK.
Oct. 2006 - March 2007: Rutherford Appleton Laboratory contract to Birkbeck College London, UK
• Research Assistant: Scientific analysis of D-CIXS instrument lunar X-ray fluorescence data
Oct. 2003 -July 2007: Dept. of Earth Sciences, University College London, Gower Street, London, UK.
• Ph.D. in Planetary Science: Topics in Lunar Evolution using Sample Analysis and Remotely Sensed Information. Analytical research conducted at the Natural History Museum, London, UK.
Oct. 2000 - Aug. 2003: Dept. of Earth Sciences, Royal Holloway, University of London, Egham, Surrey, UK.
• BSc. (Hons.) Geology: First Class Degree.
• Prizes for ‘Best Geological Fieldwork’ (2002), ‘Best Independent Geological Mapping Project’ (2003).
Professional and Research Affiliations
• Member of the Isotope Geochemistry and Cosmochemistry Group, University of Manchester, UK
• Internatinal Member of the Center for Lunar Science and Exploration, LPI/Johnson Space Center NASA Lunar Science Institute Team
• Fellow of the Royal Astronomical Society, UK
• Member of the Meteoritical Society