Postgraduate research training
Find out more about recent research projects and the topic areas where we are looking for new postgraduate researchers.
The School of Earth & Environmental Sciences has an international reputation as one of the leading Earth science teaching and research institutions in Britain.
We have an international reputation for research and some leading specialists in the fields of Atmospheric Science, Environmental Geochemistry and Geomicrobiology, Isotope Geochemistry, Palaeontology, Petroleum Geoscience, and Structural Geology & Petrological Science amongst others, and have PhD studentships, including those funded by the Manchester and Liverpool DTP and the NERC CDT available for a range of project topics within these areas.
Our large complement of academic staff, representing a wide range of experience and expertise, means that the School is well placed to offer a spectrum of postgraduate research degree opportunities. We have an excellent staff:student ratio, so you will receive close supervision and feel part of the close-knit School community.
The continued top-rating for its research activities (Research Assessment Exercise 2008: 70% of assessed research rated as internationally excellent, including 20% rated as world-leading) means that the School's academic staff are at the forefront of research in their respective fields, and can promote the links between current research and teaching.
- 70% of all research is internationally excellent or world-leading, higher than most other Earth Science departments in the country.
- Highly successful in securing Research Council and industry funding.
- Strong industrial links with major employers.
- We arrange funding for as many applicants as possible through the Research Councils, our own industrial sources and University research bursaries.
- We have a large, vibrant postgraduate community of over 100 PhD students.
- We aim to recruit 30 PhD students per year along with 50 MSc students.
- We offer a number of funded PhD studentships. A full list of available projects is available here to download.
Nick Goodwin "I enjoy contributing to projects that can have an impact for entire countries."